( she laid a egg ) MissPrissy and Speckledhen I need HELP !

crazychicken

Songster
11 Years
Sep 11, 2008
NC
Speckledhen this is for you. or anyone really.

So today I went and got my new hen I went to the guy and it was a nightmare from Hades. it was terrible.

I pick up one hen that I liked looked fine. but then I saw her feet. she had two toes on one foot and she had the scales on her legs sticking straight out. so I look at all of their feet and I want to scream.
rant.gif
does he not take care of any of them.
th.gif
so I find one that is ok and he gets this hook and grabs it by the leg and pulls it up
th.gif
I look at her and she has all 8 toes. but her leg scales are the same. I think it might be scaly leg I did not see mites. How can I cure her ? bless them I would of taken them all if dad had not said only one. poor babies I hope that they find good homes.

Here is my new hen in quarantine .

sorry it is dark outside.

15667_picture_82.jpg

Now MissPrissy this is for you. or anyone

So the same guy when we walk up. he asks am I the one with the Incubator? I say yes he walks in and comes out with Two Toulouse geese eggs for me to hatch. he said that they are like chickens just take longer. he also said that they were laid today. my question is how do you really hatch them.

15667_picture_83.jpg

Last edited:
I agree, it's scaley leg mites. You can smother them with oil/vaseline/VetRx/Camphophenique or anything that coats the legs. The problem is that if they are that bad, the scales may never lay down like they should without alot of care, etc.
Frankly, some people are worse about their chickens than they are about their mangey dogs on chains, covered in fleas. What is missing in this world is empathy for innocent animals who depend on us for everything.
somad.gif

Quote:
i agree speckled hen. i'm in a debate at school right now about animal testing for medical and cosmic reasons. i quickly picked the side against the testing. everyone in my class muttered "ohh! big shocker there!!" and i smiled. i'm proud that everyone knows i'd do anything for animals. last year i organized a fundraiser for the ASPCA and in one day got about $300. keep in mind my school has only about 150 people. i hope you can cure your chicken and i would contact the owner and tell him to start helping his chickens or you will report him for animal cruelty. keep checking up on him and if nothing changes, call the local SPCA. they deserve the best they can get, the don't deserve to be neglected.

O Lordy! Doulap Toulouse Geese - they are HUGE - We had 3 get to be about 70 lbs or more. I hope you have a lot of land and a self cleaning pond. They are fun to watch around your yard - but did I say they are HUGE? Big and Beautiful and.....poopy - poop everywhere.

Sorry, I shouldn't be so negative. We did not have a pond and they were on our deck and porches and we just couldn't take the poop any longer. And ended up giving them to a lady with a large natural pond. They guy who gave them to you must have a pond because they can't mate very successfully without deep enough water. Although it's funny to watch them try.

However, in all the time we had those dang poop machines we never NOT ONCE had problems with raccoon or fox or any other predator. They were the king of protectors. When one of those things comes at you hissing with its long neck sticking out and its 5 foot wing span spread all the way -- heck, I'd run if I were a Mt. lion; let alone a measly little coon!

Ok I called him and told him and he said he would take care of them. in the meantime tomorrow I will get better pictures. so can I use any oil like vegetable oil or corn oil. I might be able to get some Vaseline tomorrow.
She is sleeping now. she seems real sweet though and I just love that she is a bantam. before she went to sleep she was walking around the cage all puffed up like any one of my standards.
gig.gif

Quote:
Yes he had a huge pond in their backyard and I also saw Sebies, turkeys, ducks,guineas and a couple other chickens here and there.

Last edited:
I found this, does anyone know if it is right ?

Step1
Prepare the incubator. Be sure that it's clean and sterilized. Keep it at a steady temperature of 99.5 degrees Fahrenheit and 50-55 percent relative humidity, using a hatching thermometer and a hydrometer or a wet bulb. The wet bulb conversion for this relative humidity is 81 to 83 degrees.

Step2
Ready the eggs. Use eggs that are no older than 4 days, have no cracks and are regular in size and shape. Mark one side of the eggs with the set date with a pencil or crayon.

Step3
Set the eggs. Place them in the incubator on their sides with the date side up. The temperature in the incubator will drop after you have placed the eggs. Don't adjust the temperature at this point; let it catch up as it warms the cool eggs.

Step4
Cool the eggs for 15 minutes each day and spray them with room-temperature water from day 4 to day 27.

Step5
Turn the eggs at least three times daily. Additional turns may increase hatchability, but be sure that you turn the eggs an odd number of times each day so that they aren't left on the same side every night. Use the date marking to remember which eggs have been turned; they should all be face up or face down.

Step6
Stop cooling, spraying and turning the eggs on day 27, and increase the humidity in the incubator to 75 percent. The goslings are beginning to position themselves for hatching now, and turning them will confuse them. Let the baby geese hatch on their own unless they go for more than 12 hours without making any progress.

Step7
Let the goslings dry and fluff for one day in the incubator before moving them.

All right so this morning we caught her and put some baby oil (only thing we had on hand) on her feet and legs.
she did not like us touching her legs, but we put a nice coat on her.

here she is this morning.

any ideas on names ?

15667_picture_84.jpg

Back
Top Bottom